dil, no spleen, celluitis, need prayer!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kareninthesun, Sep 22, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Christie is 38 years old. A few years ago she lost her spleen from a car accident. Early last week she had a series of needed shots because she doesn't have a spleen, and they gave her ALL the updates of yearly innoculations (Flu/whooping cough, etc.) at the same time, some in her arm. She has heart problems, but stopped smoking 8 months ago, and is now running every day, usually 3-4 miles. Was doing great until last week. Got very sick. New doctor said by phone that it was due to a reaction from all the shots given. Serious pain, fever, arm swelled up, her arm bright red, spreading below the shoulder, over the shoulder and now to her back. She called the dr back again this morning whom said she didn't have an appointment so couldn't be seen. My son is three hours away at work, and made arraingments to get her to the hospital asap. They immediately took her in, started her on a series of tests, IV morph drip and some sort of antibiotic by IV. She's currently feeling no pain. My granddaughters are being cared for.

But my son is absolutely LIVID at her regular Dr. Knowing the risk involved because she has no spleen - and has no immune defense is scary. Talking with him, he'll have nothing to do with her (regular) physician in communicating until she regains her health. He (the dr) told her that he just looked up information on protocols regarding patients with no spleen to find out what to do....the emergency care folk including physicians are outstanding.

Are there physicians whom specialize in patients whom have no spleen, or is this going to be an ongoing problem? Please lift them all in prayer...

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Prayers! [​IMG]

3. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I will keep your DIL & DS in my prayers. The surgeon who removed her spleen should have given her PCP the protocol for the immunizations that your DIL needs. Is he involved with her care at all? God bless your family!
    [​IMG]

4. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Prayers for your DIL's speedy recovery and strength for your son.

5. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:No. They've moved and she has a new physician. The new physician whom originally gave her all the shots knew of her history. He has all the records of her care, and I'm only guessing, but could have contacted him for imput? In any case, she's home now. There's a two hour time difference between us, but I will call early tomorrow morning for an update.

6. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    Thank you all for your prayer support.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Prayers for her!

If it is vaccine reactions,and there are provable medical issues then she can apply for compensation through the National Vaccine Injury Compensation fund to cover medical costs.

Maybe next time she can have titers done to see if she even needs a certain shot.

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:This is why they call it "Practicing Medicine"

And this is why I don't like Dr's.

I am so sorry for what your DIL is facing, so sad. I pray for all involved here, dil, son, grandkids, you (the parents). May Christ show you all where to find the proper Dr. needed for this situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by