Dilemma about moving day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickp, Jul 20, 2010.

1. chickp

chickp Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    Hey there,
    My awesome dh is almost done with the coop and run (I am helping some but he is home this summer with the kids, so he's working hard!). here's the thing....we are going on a four day trip next Monday to Thursday leaving my in-laws on chick duty. The chickies will be six weeks old and are way ready to go in, and I'd say we can move them in a couple days. I also have read to leave them in the coop (and run? it will be open all the time, I think, but that's in a separate thread!) for a week so they know where to sleep. I just am not sure I want to move them and then leave so soon. What would y'all do? Thanks.

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would put them in the coop/run for the week that you are gone. That way your in-laws don't have to worry about rounding them up and they will know where home is for when you are home.

Can you put them in a couple of days before you leave to make sure they are alright in there? That way if there are problems you can fix them before you go.

Good Luck!

3. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Can they comfortably stay where they are now until you come back?

If you do put them in the coop you may want to consider leaving them in the coop for some days before opening up the door to the run. In that way they get used to the coop being home and will be more likely to go inside at night when they are outside. More experienced chicken people can correct me if I am mistaken on that.

I moved my chicks to their new house around the same age, and we had some 100+ days right after. I was happy to be home to check on them to see how they help up in there during the heat.

4. chickp

chickp Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    They can stay where they are and be okay. Ideally we would move them this week at six weeks, but I think we would feel better if they just stayed in their box for a few more days while we are gone. I don't want my inlaws to have to deal with anything unexpected, so we'll just get everything ready and have moving day when we get back. Thanks for the feedback. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by