Dilemma on new additions to the coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jeronamo, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Jeronamo

Jeronamo New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    I have 2 bantam hens and they hatched 5 chicks which are now about 12 weeks old. Unfortunately, it looks like I have only one pullet and 4 cockerals! Sadly, the cocks must go, but I am worried for the little remaining hen - she will get picked on by the 2 hens. Would it be okay to aquire another pullet from somewhere, so she has a friend - and I have one more layer, of course! Would this scenario go down smoothly? I am pretty new to the fickle ways of chooks...

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The look but don't touch method is a great way to introduce new members to your flock. Have them next to each other but sperated by wire so they can see each other and become aquainted but can't get to each other and fight. After a few weeks of this you can introduce them but be on watch so you can jump in incase the usual pecking order scuffles get too much or bloody. Adding extra feed and water stations is also a good idea so the established birds can't bully the new one out of eating and drinking. Here is nice article on adding new members https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yorkshire Coop gave you great advice and a great link, so I will just say "Welcome to Backyard Chickens." Always room on the roost for new members.

4. Jeronamo

Jeronamo New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the help. The article made for interesting reading.
    I am thinking I might just stick with the group I have got (minus the cockerals) - introducing a new chicken to the flock sounds a little tricky.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Yes, it would be fine to get another pullet as a friend for your lone pullet. Just make sure you keep the newcomer quarantined for at least two weeks before introducing it to the rest of your flock. Otherwise, you risk transmitting disease.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly check out the link provided by Yorkshire Coop and like BantamLover21 said, make sure you quarantine the new bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by