Dilemma regarding shipped eggs I received.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 11, 2011.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I won an auction for some eggs here in BYC from a new poster. Not sure if they're new to the egg selling thing or just new to BYC. Anyway, I received them today, right on time. They were shipped in a SHOE BOX! [​IMG] A very flimsy shoe box, then stuffed into it with shredded paper, and a layer of bubble wrap. Each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap and put into the egg carton Upside Down! Two eggs were smashed, and all but two of the air cells are detached and have bubbles floating around inside of them. Would you be upset and do you think I should contact the seller, who hasn't posted since I won, btw. I'm pretty upset, I know shipped eggs are a gamble, but who ships them upside down in a flippin' shoe box? Ugh, any advice, or should I eat the cost and shut up? [​IMG]

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I would contact the seller...

Also, if the seller doesn't respond, be sure to leave feedback...

3. HenPenny

HenPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Lewisville tx
    I agree with CCourson05
    and contact the seller... Feed back it very important. We learn from mistakes but that is kinda on the lazy side of not taking care of business properly.

4. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    what do you mean they were upside down?? were they pointy side up??? wow :O

5. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Quote:Yup. I am just flabbergasted by this. I am also very concerned as this person hasn't posted in almost a week. They had six or so auction listings that all ended within a day or so of the others.

6. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:Yup. I am just flabbergasted by this. I am also very concerned as this person hasn't posted in almost a week. They had six or so auction listings that all ended within a day or so of the others.

wow... yeah,
    one time i had my eggs shipped in hard plastic cartons. 6 out of 15 where cracked.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    What kind of eggs were they?

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    In my opinion, shipped eggs are a gamble, BUT, the seller has an obligation to research proper packaging techniques and make a real effort to do it right.

I bought some goose eggs last month off of Ebay, two lots, two vendors. The first vendor sent filthy eggs smeared in feces, each one wrapped in a single layer of thin bubble wrap, and then thrown into a Priority Mail box with some, but not a lot, crumpled newspaper. I complained, and they sent me a second batch, but those were not packaged any better. The person stated in an E-mail that their 14 year old does all of the gathering, packaging, and shipping. It appears to me that the 14 year old doesn't know, or perhaps doesn't care, about how to do it right.

The second lot was the opposite, wrapped so well I posted a thread on here about it, and also sent the vendor a note letting him know how much I appreciated all of the effort he put into packaging them so carefully.

If a seller is going to state "not responsible for damage in shipping" they better make sure they do an adequate job packaging. While nothing is fool-proof, a good packaging job can make all the difference.

I think that last year, I noticed a direct correlation between the quality of the packaging job and the hatch rate. The harder it was for me to unwrap them, the more layers, the longer it took me, the better they seemed to hatch. I don't think its possible to over-package an egg.

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    2 sets of eggs arrived today, 2 different sellers.

Marans 11/13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RCRIR 9/9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  10. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Model A, I have gotten some poorly shipped eggs in the past, but never, ever eggs shipped upside down in an ****ing shoe box. I swear....I have learned a lesson, don't ever, ever trust new BYC members. Period. It's pretty sad as I'm a really trusting, kind person. It just stinks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by