Dilemma - WWYD?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKnewbie, Sep 25, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Currently we have a setup where we have 9 Australorp hens and 2 KC ducks (male and female).
    They share a 300sqft run but they have separate houses.
    The ducks have a 16sqft house.

When we bought the ducks we were under the mistaken assumption that they were sexed and both females. However, apparently that was not so. But that's ok. We've come to love both. However, I had been reading that there should be at least a 1:3 drake:hen ratio so as not to wear out the duck hen.

Also, I just saw the drake mount a chicken today and I've been told that it's bad news.

So, I guess we have decisions to make....

There is a couple of ducks that are being given away. They are both a yr old, both female. One KC and one Cayuga. My concern about this is that I know nothing of how they were raised and dont know what diseases/parasites they may bring to our ducks and chickens.

Another option is to order a couple of female ducklings, raise them separately til they're almost full grown.

Third option is to separate the duck and chicken run and separate the drake and duck hen, if necessary. It would be quite sad to separate them though because they're quite inseparable at the moment.

So far those are my ideas. Again, we're new to this so any advice is appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    First, I would separate the ducks from the chickens so that the drake does not injure your hens. The most logical solution would be to obtain several more ducks so that the drake can spread his lovin' around.

3. AKnewbie

Jun 30, 2012
    Would you get year old ducks (i know absolutely nothing of their history) or would you raise ducklings?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the year old ducks are coming from an individual who had two ducks as pets, I would take the chance on them. If they are coming from a good/clean environment chances are that they are healthy. If coming from a large flock/dealer/auction I would be far more cautious.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I am sorry but that is kind of an insult. We maintain strict bio-security here with our flocks that we breed. We dont ever sell sick or injured birds ever. We are hands on daily with the flocks. Monthly checks for anything out of place are done. We have routine care, set times we check for parasites, and a well stocked medicine cabinet for the animals. To imply large flocks are less likely to be healthy is misleading.

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may have inferred an insult, none was intended. What I meant was that the the greater the numbers of animals in any situation the greater the possibility of exposure. That's a plain and simple fact. Again sorry that you felt insulted.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, #1 get the drake and duck out of the access to the chickens, otherwise you could get a dead chicken. As for the other options? I've done both here, it truly depends on the birds themselves and how they are raised.

Personally, i prefer to buy young birds and introduce them to the flock, i have better success with my way of keeping and their personalities that way. The one duck we've had a year now(purchased as an older bird but under 1yo) is still a scatterbrain, she at least is 'with the program' but i don't know whether she'll ever come 'round. She is just spazy and the ducks i have raised as young are not so dramatic lol

FWIW i own 17 so it's a larger flock, no one is getting massive hands on treatment BUT that said we operate a clean, safe and closed flock. So buying birds from larger flocks is not really anymore of a concern than a smaller one, now auctions and swaps can be another matter, one has to use good judgement in those places as it attracts both responsible and irresponsible owners/sellers.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    That's exactly how I took it. People are so emotionally fragile, acutely hypersensitive and so easily "offended" by the most minor thing nowadays.

9. AKnewbie

Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks for your advice.
    I'll be investigating the year old ducks that are being given away some more.
    For now, we've separated the chickens from the ducks.
    Thanks!

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds good! These other ducks maybe the right choice or not, one will have to check into it further just like your planning, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by