Dilemma.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beefy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Flo is going broody again! ive collected 14 eggs from her almost every day. she has skipped a day a couple of times. i had left one egg in there b/c if i replace with golfballs she abandons the nest. so i collected her egg around lunch time today and went back later and she has been sitting on that one egg for the rest of the day. the egg is ~18 days old i would guess. its been 90s mostly. i doubt this egg is going to hatch. i guess i could just take it away from her. or i could but her slightly refrigerated egg back under her. or i could put Zeldas egg from today under her. or i could put one of the other girls eggs from today under her. or all 3 to make a total of 4. i really wish i had some BLRW or blue ameraucana eggs to put under her tho. i dont really want to hatch more mixed chicks right now. it seems kind of wasteful to let her sit on one egg, especially one egg that may not hatch. what to do?

2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i know... i cant decide either!

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Three days left? I'd leave it at this point....then again I haven't had a broody to deal with, yet!

4. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    no she just started sitting on it today! its been laid and sitting in the nest for 18 days or so. its an egg i marked and left so she would continue to lay there...

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Is there nobody close enough who could send you some eggs in a hurry?
    That would be my first choice. I've had too many go broody, and I don't want any more chicks - I have one poor girl who went broody a few days ago and she's out of luck, I'm not going to let her keep any eggs - haven't decided what to do with her yet.

Good luck!

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    order the kind of chicks you want and sneak them under her- you both win

7. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    eggs in a hurry? whats that?

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Thats when you pm a friend a BEG them to mail off eggs in the next hour!

9. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    friends?

i have no willpower!
    I gave Flo a Zelda the australorp egg and a Muriel the barred rock egg just in case the Flo egg hatched so it wouldnt be alone.

*sigh*

hope we have a late and mild winter.

10. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Getting close!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by