Dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Aug 30, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 2 cockerels to rehome. I have 4 already. But one of the cockerels now jumps on my lap, lets me pet him, gave me the stinkeye, jumped on my shoulder. Now I feel like I just can't part with him.
    My neighbors , one has a roo for 2 years, and I have had my 4 for a year. No problems. Do I go with another one, and maybe lock them up till 10 am in the morning? Would that be a fair trade? Just my luck to get attached to another cockerel.

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    sounds like you have one tame rooster. HI, I got the pair of brahamas from you last year at the Inverness show. They are doing awesome. What type of rooster do you have. My papa brahma is the king of the laying pen. He is gorgeous and awesome. Hope you can figure out what to do. maybe get rid of one of the not so tame roosters...Do not know I have more than i need too but they are so pretty sometimes..

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The darn things always do that right when you are planning on parting with them! They seem to KNOW what is going on. Good luck...I would keep him ...not often you find a good one!

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Hi, Ladybug. I am so happy that he is a good roo. But what do you expect when Daddy is Speckled Hen's Suede. He's awesome. If I had more land I would have kept him, it was tough giving him up, but I had already had 4 roos, otherwise I would have kept him and an ameraucana cockerel also from Speckled Hen.
    I never expected to have 4 roos, but two are brother silkies living with their sister, and they all get along great, and they pull at my heartstring. Especially now when mom has 3 polish chicks that are larger then her and they all 6 snuggle up at night. I gotta get a picture.
    The other two are polish roo brothers, and get along with 9 hens, I think it's because one always backs down, they both are very docile, I can pick them up and smooch them and cuddle them.
    The little 9 week old cockerel now sits on my knee and lets me pet him and kiss him on the neck. How can I part with that?

5. ladybug4ut1

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    that sounds adorable......where did you get polishes or do you raise those. it is really hard when they are all so tame......maybe you could find someone who loves like that and will play with them like that and be able to give them one. Ido not konow that sounds really cute.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:I don't think you can! Nor could I!
    JJ

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I had a few cockerels that were really nutso flighty-they were rehomed. It's like the cockerels narrowed themselves down.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I don't think you can! Nor could I!
    JJ

Jody, LOL, I didn't know you were like that. Well, he will be a keeper. I will just have to let all of them out later . Give all my neighbors a break, LOL

9. ladybug4ut1

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Yes they do. I have some baby barred standards and i know one or two are roos and i am not sure what i am going to do with them. I have a balck roo now and so i do not know or if they will get along....i only have three girls right now...and they are all molting...Do you have polishes?

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I love Polish so much I had to have more! So I have 2 white crested black, 3 buff laced, 4 offspring from them, 2 silver laced from PP, and one polish/Jersey Giant mix. Plus 3 Jersey Giants, 1 buff orpingtom, 1 ameraucana, and 3 silkies. Except for 1 polish cockerel, thay are all tame, I can pick anyone up, and they get along.
    But I still have the urge to hatch more babes, Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by