Dilemna - Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mhardy62, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Mhardy62

Mhardy62 Out Of The Brooder

My RIR is now 21 weeks old and neither a crow nor an egg (that I know of anyway).

I was convinced he was a he, but I would have thought that I would have been awakened with the whole cock-a-doodle-doo by now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Kinda looks like a hen to me.[​IMG]

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Pullet. My RIR's didn't start laying until 9 and 10 months old. Now they lay 5-6 large to extra large brown eggs a week. Some breeds and birds themselves just take a little longer to start.

4. Mhardy62

Sounds like he is a she!! I have a couple of more pics - not sure if it makes a difference
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mhardy62

And these two are the youngest of my flock of 16. Born 13/14 January. One is a Sliver laced Wyandotte and the other a Barnevelder. Do not know sex of either, although I have my suspicions. If I end up with 2 Roos from these or my 2 RIRs, I have promised one to a friend (even though I am allowed to have up to 5 Roosters - one is enough for my little flock.)

I call these two TweedleDee and TweedleDum - I am sure they will get proper names ones their personalities and sex is determined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Those are still too young for me to tell, if no one can figure it out then give us a comb shot and a side shot in about a month or when they fully feather out.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your RIR is a pullet.

The other two...I'd lean towards the SLW being a boy, but they are both too young to really tell.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Agreed

9. Mhardy62

Good to know my RIR is actually a girl. I have two of them, but this one is darker and slighlty different shape to the feathers than the other - well at least I thought they were both RIRs. I have my suspicions that the little silver laced wyandotte is a roo, but we'll wait and see as it seems I was wrong about this one :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by