Dill Pickles

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by watsonlane, May 18, 2011.

1. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    How do I make dill pickles.....without buying the mix from the store???? I've got the cucumbers, just want a recipe without the mix from the store.
    Thanks!!!

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    You will need to grow yourself some dill. We add our own dill to our recipes but the wife wont think twice about using a good premade mix.

Step #5 has a good recipe for making your own mix

http://www.pickyourown.org/pickles_easy.htm

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is how I do mine. This is a picture of my pickles from last year. My cucumbers haven't started making yet but I'm looking forward to putting up a bunch more pickles this year. Remember if you use plastic jars as I have here to purchase food grade plastic. I got these gallon jars at Walmart, they were the perfect size to sit in the bottom of my extra frig in the garage.

Kosher Dill Pickles

Ingredients
    · 1 gallon cucumbers
    · 1/3 cup dehydrated minced onion
    · 2 teaspoons dehydrated minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves, minced
    · 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    · 4 teaspoons dill seed
    · 1 1/2 quarts water
    · 2 cups cider vinegar
    · 1/2 cup canning salt…(I couldn’t find canning salt so I just used plain table salt with no iodine)

Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters add to jars.

Boil liquids and seasonings for 5 minutes to dissolve the salt and wake up the flavors, then cool. Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days turning them occasionally. Then refrigerate. They will keep for a year.

Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers, as they are not waxed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Those look great! I might try that this year if I can find pickling cucumbers(I don't have any started)They look like Claussens, which are my favorite pickled products.
    Quote:

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Rte.66_chicks :

Those look great! I might try that this year if I can find pickling cucumbers(I don't have any started)They look like Claussens, which are my favorite pickled products.

These are supposed to be a Claussen clone pickle and the do taste a little bit like a Claussen but I like my pickles better. Maybe it's just that I got used to the taste of my pickles and when I ran out of then at the end of last month and started buying Claussens pickles again they just didn't taste as good to me as they used to. I can't wait to get my first jar of "real" pickles put up and ready to eat, but it will probably be another month before I have enough cucumbers to do it.​

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I am going to try it! Although I will have to get the grocery pickling cucumbers since I don't grow them.

thanks!! [​IMG]

7. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:Try and find a farmers market instead of the grocery store......heck grow your own:lol:

8. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Do these have to be refrigerated? I'm looking for a recipe I don't have to refrigerate.

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Yes they are refrigerator pickles, like Claussens are, that is what keeps them so crisp. I keep an extra refrigerator in my garage for extra gallons of milk and so forth, so I have the extra room to store refrigerator pickles.

It is a one hour round trip to the grocery store for me and we normally only go into town once every two weeks, so I have to have a way of stocking up on perishable foods.

10. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I just did this; but i put them in quart jars; (3 to be exact) and covered them all w/equal parts of the "juice" and they smell yummy!

I really wish I could have one now..but alas..gotta wait lol...

so...will update on how they turn out in a few days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by