Dilute italian? And another colour

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nikirushka, Nov 26, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    I've got 7 hens from the breeder that I can only describe as dilute italian. The markings are there, both the dark flecks on the body and the face markings but everything is washed out. All 7 birds are virtually identical. I have proper gold/blondes now as well as regular italians, and these are definitely neither. Am I literally looking at diluted italians? Is that possible, genetically? Proper italian and gold in the third and fourth pics for comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's an interesting bunch of birds - one of my silver chicks is now looking gold-over-silver, and I've also got this male that I wanted that I've yet to identify:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on him? He's absolutely stunning but I'm getting nowhere with working out his colour! The colour on the second pic is more accurate, my phone won't pick up his shading quite right (second pic is from the breeder).

The breeder said that the birds I've taken are what gave rise to the interesting colours so I'm assuming the silver genes are within this group somewhere - the silver-gold and silver tux ones are 4 and 5 weeks old, most of the others are adults.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    Anyone...?

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry I don't have any ideas what they would be called - they're certainly beautiful though and nice setup ^^

4. poultrymad

poultrymad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Staffordshire, uk
    Hi, I have had 2 of them pop up in my silver breeding. I only have 2 hens at the moment but am working on breeding more. Mine look like the one in your second picture. Will upload pics in a bit.

As for the gold silvers. A lot of mine look like that it just generally depends on the lighting as to whether they look gold or silver.

5. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    Thank you, that is interesting to know with the silver genes being somewhere in my flock.

6. poultrymad

Sep 6, 2016
    Staffordshire, uk
    Also if it's a new colour does it need a name and if so by who.
    I was thinking silver Laced?

7. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    I just bought mine from someone else, you've had them pop up and are trying to breed more so I think that gives you naming rights!

8. poultrymad

Sep 6, 2016
    Staffordshire, uk
    Silver Laced it is then. Unless anyone wants to suggest something.
    Also I thing I have had another 4 or 5 hatch in the last 2 days.
    Along with silver tuxes, silver, fawns, am, normals, and some unidentified ones including one that looks like a black Tuxedo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by