Diluted permethrin for scally mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squishychicken, May 18, 2019.

1. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    I've heard diluted permethrin will kill leg mites one try. But has anyone tried it? And what's the dilution rate? Of course I'll have to moisture the legs so the scales can regrow.

2. ellend

ellend Songster

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    It's safer and fully effective to rub Vaseline into the legs (rub against the scales so it get up in there) to smother them. Soaking their legs in warm water first to loosen debris will help. Keep the legs vaselined for a few weeks (not as much application as you might think) and they will be as good as new.

AMERAUCANAS4REAL likes this.
  3. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    It's just that way takes weeks and the vaseline gets everywhere..... on there underbellies and that takes forever to get off. Plus I have broodies and the chicks cant get the goop on them so I was going for another effective non sticky version

4. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    Dipping in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes, then holding the chicken until it evaporates, then applying castor oil or even canola oil might speed up the process. I also used vinegar at other times. Neither produced any pain reaction. With castor oil massaged in, or edible oils. I never noticed much grease, but they dust bathe a lot. Garlic is an insecticide and sometimes I add a little minced garlic to the oil . Unfortunately, whatever you use, they just come back after a few months, this is more like a marathon, not a sprint. The literature mentions that birds deficient in vitamin A are vulnerable, you could supplement with beta-carotene (direct supplementation with vitamin A is dangerous). Cooked squash, grated carrots, kale, paprika on their food.

Debofoxford and Squishychicken like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: