Diluters of Black: Blue, Chocolate, Dun, Lavender

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by wcbpolish, Mar 18, 2017.

1. wcbpolish

wcbpolish Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Pierson, Michigan
    I have a question about the inheritance of diluters... here are several things that I have heard in places about these diluters:

*Breeding Lavender to Lavender in the long run damages feather quality
    *The only way to improve blues is to breed to blues or blacks
    *If you always breed blue to blue, they will get lighter
    *One should not breed a black out of blue line into blacks
    *One should not breed a black out of a cuckoo line back into blacks

It seems that birds that come out of families with diluted colors would be MORE LIKELY to carry color faults that would show up in their black prodigy, but the folks who tell me related things seem to imply that it is the diluter (blue, cuckoo, etc) that CAUSES them. This confuses me, because either the gene is there, or it is not. If it is not there (bird is black), the diluter should not have an impact on future generations, right? Other "hidden" genes might be the cause, but it should not be the diluter itself...

And how can the expression of the diluter gene change by the continual breeding of diluted birds to diluted birds?

I have a degree in biology and I think that I understand genetics fairly well... so this stumps me. The only thing that I can compare it to some human diseases that come from sections of DNA with excessive repeats... that tend to acquire even more copies of the same repeat in future generations, thus getting worse (stronger expression) in future generations.

Any other commentary of the genetics of diluters would be fine in this thread as well.

For the record, I have white crested polish- Blue, Black, Cuckoo, and hopefully Chocolate(Dun) in the near future.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

Your observations are quite valid and I understand the confusion, but most of this only applies to the autosomal blue diluting gene(Bl/bl+) when breeding blue to blue the dilution effects accumulates and the birds get lighter in color, as for breeding blacks our of cuckoo line to a line of pure black should not be an issue at all, since the only difference between the cuckoo pattern and black is the barring gene all other gens are the same.

1 person likes this.
  3. wcbpolish

wcbpolish Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Pierson, Michigan
    How does it accumulate? I'm not arguing, I just don't understand. Some sort of epigenetic business?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by