Dimensions for upcoming coop/run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DURR, Jan 29, 2013.

1. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Ok so me and the husband have been looking into building/buying a coop. And we was wondering what the appropriate dimensions should be to house 11 chickens with the opportunity to add quite abit more. So far our dimensions are 10'x6'x10' with a nesting box of 1 1/2'x3'x4' with 6 boxes separated. But we will also be adding a chicken door to allow our chickens to enter an old covered chain link dog kennel that is 6'x6'x10' additional run. Would this be enough space to house 11 chickens comfortably and still allow some more room for additional chicks this spring?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    The coop plan I am using (10' long x 6' wide x 8' high with a two foot bump out for the nesting boxes) states the coop will hold 22 chickens. The recommended size of the run in the plan is 16' x 10' (160 square feet).

Jim

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Ok thank you! :)

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The nice thing about chain link kennels is they are easily expanded. By purchasing two 10' lengths, Agway makes individual panel orders, you'll add 100 square feet in 15 minutes. Chickens love their run space. The 10 square ft per chicken recommended run space is a very good number. You could go less but chickens really like their space to dust bath, sun bath and generally peck about. As for coop size I'm of the school of thought that as long as they have roosting space they are fine. My set up is large run and small coop. Food and water is in run and 7 chickens roost in our 4x4 coop without problems (nesting boxes attached). If you don't heat they never want to be in the coop unless laying eggs or roosting at night. Ours go under the coop in heavy rains or snow rather than go inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by