dimensions question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sashurlow, Sep 20, 2009.

1. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    I've only asked a bagillion questions and finally have something built to ask a question about!!!
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/tbdesigns/chicken coop/?action=view&current=chickenrun5_1_1.jpg http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/tbdesigns/chicken%20coop/?action=view&current=chickenrun6_1_1.jpg
    I'm
    going to put a 4x4 coop under the hoop on one end. With the coop being 4ft wide, I have 5ft of height to play with. So my question. With five ft of height, what would be a better use of the space?
    Option 1, 3ft tall coop with 2ft of open underspace that can be covered in cold weather(with a "door") and open in warm weather. It will give the birds a place to hide under and be tall enough to clean out space below.
    Option 2, Give it a 6inch spacer and 4.5 ft tall coop. No underspace for the birds but much more coop space.
    Other info: The area outside the coop under the run will be plenty for the birds, so saving run space is not an issue. 8ftx12ft run. Although this is modeled after a tractor, this one is stationary. The ground is well draining sand.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    What kind of chickens? 3 ft would be enough for bantams and their roosts. It would be a little small for large fowl unless the roosts are very close to the floor.

3. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    Don't know exactly what kind of birds (thats for the spring) but plymouth rocks and RIR and that type. I'm also thinking that it would be easier to clean with it extending all the way to the ground.
    How tall does a floor have to be off the ground anyway. 6inches, 8inches?
    Thanks,
    Scott

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It doesn't have to be a specific height at all. What type of floor are you planning on? Will it be totally enclosed in the run, or will the coop make part of the outside wall? If its part of the outside wall, be sure to make it dig proof. Some people put a layer of hardware cloth down before the flooring. It helps keep the rats and mice from chewing in.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    You need more space for those birds. They fight if too confined. Also I used linoleum for a floor, over 3/4" OSB sheets. I keep at least 4" litter made entirely of grass clippings (free, no cost) on floor at all times. Semiannual total cleanout and refill. Linoleum is so easy to clean and disinfect, and will not retain odors/fumes. Ammonia gas is really bad for chickens because they are prone to lung problems anyway kept in coops. Ventilation is vital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by