Dimmer for premier 1 heat plate

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Hi,
Has anyone figured out if any dimmer can work on the premier 1 heat plate? I've raised it all the way and my 1 week chicks are huddled away from the plate. Will take a week to get their dimmer to turn it down. Will they be okay hudled and smart enough to go back under plate if too cold? Their wings are half feathered and some have a few tail feathers. Dont want to wake up to dead chicks.
Thank you

Any way you can use a different heat source, like a (very well secured) heat lamp? I like to give space without lamp light too so they can choose the temp they want. Then you can at least place a thermometer in different places to gauge temp. If they’re huddled together most of the time it’s not good, you do want them to have heat access.

Looking at their product a dimmer from Lowes or Home Depot should work. However a dimmer from Lowes is going to cost more and will be harder to adjust to the same setting with a rotary or slider dimmer. Premiers dimmer has notches to adjust so it is easier to go back to the same setting.

I bought the Premier dimmer, designed to work with their heat plate, and it's done very well. IMO it's best to use a product designed for the use intended, rather than 'winging it' with something else.
My Premier heat plate was too hot without the dimmer.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom