Dimmer for premier 1 heating plate

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Hi,
Has anyone figured out if any dimmer can work on the premier 1 heat plate? I've raised it all the way and my 1 week chicks are huddled away from the plate. Will take a week to get their dimmer to turn it down. Will they be okay hudled and smart enough to go back under plate if too cold? Their wings are half feathered and some have a few tail feathers. Dont want to wake up to dead chicks.
Thank you

Hi,
Has anyone figured out if any dimmer can work on the premier 1 heat plate? I've raised it all the way and my 1 week chicks are huddled away from the plate. Will take a week to get their dimmer to turn it down. Will they be okay hudled and smart enough to go back under plate if too cold? Their wings are half feathered and some have a few tail feathers. Dont want to wake up to dead chicks.
Thank you
Maybe put a brick/wood block under each of the front legs to get it higher up, but slanted? How big is your brooder? Is there enough ventilation?

I'm not sure about a dimmer, but raising on bricks sounds good. I have to put my chicks under the heat plate, at night, for the first couple weeks. It shouldn't be too warm for them at only 1 week old. How hot is it in the room they're in?

Its already on 2x4s, they are in a 6x2 feed trough. It does get a little warm in there during the day. Shoot. I'll try and raise it up a little more and open the windows big.

Wondering if i can turn down the thing before waiting a week

Its already on 2x4s, they are in a 6x2 feed trough. It does get a little warm in there during the day. Shoot. I'll try and raise it up a little more and open the windows big.

Wondering if i can turn down the thing before waiting a week
What’s the temp inside the brooder? So glad you are taking such good care to protect your littles!

What’s the temp inside the brooder? So glad you are taking such good care to protect your littles!
I'm going to guess 80. But I'm cooling it down. It's night now and cools off pretty fast with window open

I didn't ever measure temp cause i heard it's hard to tell with a heating plate. I'll try and find a thermometer, i got one somewhere

I'm going to guess 80. But I'm cooling it down. It's night now and cools off pretty fast with window open

I didn't ever measure temp cause i heard it's hard to tell with a heating plate. I'll try and find a thermometer, i got one somewhere
Just curious what it is in the brooder. The plate itself will probably be very high which is ok because it’s radiant heat.

In general dimmers are (can be) fire hazards. One of my best friends has been an electrician for over 35 years, His company, and workers absolutely refuses to install dimmers of any kind, anywhere.

He says he has seen fires, and too many problems to count with dimmers, so these professionals do not install them.

AT ALL !!!

Dimmers work by using electrical resistance, which causes heat, which can build to the point of ignition. Not to mention the dust, which can compound the problems. Some products warn against using any kind of dimmer.

Personally I would steer clear of them.

Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom