1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dimorphic BB Red OEG Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bbRedMom, Dec 2, 2007.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Hello all!

My three little chickies are doing great! They are all eating and drinking and cheeping and just beeing too darn cute for words!

However, two of them, Johnnie and Scruffy, have very distinctive markings, while Mumbles jst looks plain and brown. Are some chicken breeds dimorphic from chickdom?
    I've looked everyehere and cant find the answer! Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you mean can you tell male from female by characteristics, yes, on some breeds you can. I'm not sure if it qualifies as dimorphic, but Salmon Faverolles chicks can be differenciated by the pullets having brown on their little wings and the cockerels black. This can be seen by two weeks of age, generally. The Barred Rocks look different in male and female from the beginning, almost all of the time.

3. Hi!
    Sounds like you have 2 cockerels and a pullet (in some colors, hens are 'just plain brown/tan' and the boys get all the 'color').
    Ahhh, if they are black breasted red Old English Game bantams, then that is the case for sure.
    [​IMG]

4. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have too many roos already! Aw, poop.

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Sorry, how old are these chicks?

We have one, also, who is now um... 5wks. She had beautiful eyeliner and chipmunk stripes as a wee babe. Now she has some partridge-ey feather coloring, with a pinky tan chest and her head is lightening up a bit (more red than the rest of her body).

I'm nearly 100% she's a pullet.. although I wouldn't be money on my newbie knowledge!

Hope your babies are still at the chipmunk stripe stage..

I've found Murray McMurray's catalog to be a great resource for identifying breeds/chicks. You could also try www.feathersite.com

Good luck!
    Meghan

6. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    They were hatched Wednesday and Thursday. Johnnie, the oldest, is definitely a roo. He already struts and puffs his chest out like one. They do still have their stripes, but their wing feathers are coming in sooooo fast. It makes me sad/happy! I want them to stay cute little fuzzies forever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by