Diningroom Brooder DH Made For Me, the Crippled Chickenkeeper

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Feb 19, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many of you remember my big wooden brooder that I got at an estate sale cheap. It's been used numerous times for many batches of chicks and it isnt retired, however, its place in the bsmt bathroom is not accessible to me since I am recuperating from a broken ankle. So, we are brooding the batch that is due in six days in the combo living/dining/kitchen on the dining table. They'll be here for maybe 2-3 weeks, depending on how bad it gets, LOL. This way, I can tend to them myself to a certain degree. At least, I can interact with them. So, here is our makeshift brooder made from a dog kennel and heavy cardboard; got the idea from someone here on BYC recently--thanks! It's about 23" w x 36"l and 24" high and ready for the paper towels, feeder and waterer.
    Would have used the larger one, but Zane is living in it.
    [​IMG]

Edited to remove unintentional word issues.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Nice set up [​IMG] I got my babies right here in my bedroom on my dresser in my son's campbox. Thank goodness he's to old for camp because I don't think it'll be empty anytime soon. [​IMG]

His campbox is an old army footlocker box we bought at an army surplus store for $5 [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Cyn, that'll be easy to reach and work with, good idea to have it up on the table. I'm building a brooder in the well house, next to the coop for the "kitchen graduates."

I'm watching the incubation thread to have something to focus on besides Naga's condition. Glad you all are here and posting. I'm going to try to stay focused on eggs, and chicks and positive things. You're hatching, Ione is hatching, and I've got chicks coming from two hatcheries. Fluffy butts are good medicine.

I used a giant crate for the last time I brooded. Loved it.

Luck with hatch and fuzzies!

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    you have given me a good idea
    this Height will save wear an tear on my back
    what was I thinking had last brooder on
    bathroom floor, LOL
    now it will go on top of washer.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I brood mine on the dining room table too! I find it to be highly ironic! [​IMG]

My dog kennel is wrapped in hardware cloth. When the babies first go in I drape the sides with towels to hold in heat. As they aged I took the towels off. It worked great! The hardware cloth also keeps the nosy kitty from poking his little paws in there!

Good luck! How fun that they get to be up there with you!

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Neat setup!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice set-up! I keep the brooder on a tall drafting table in our "little room" off the bedroom. It makes tending and cleaning so much easier.

Hope that ankle is healing fast, when does the cast come off?

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Cynthia - That is looking nice. I promised my wife no more chicks in the house for very long. Good think she does not go downstairs...

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Soooooo.....whatcha got in that 'bater there, lady?

10. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:Beautiful job you did on that brooder! It looks exactly the way I had made mine. I had started my chicks out in a cardboard box and then moved them into a wire dog kennel with the cardboard sides taped on when they were bigger. I also put pine shavings on the floor and a couple 2-3 inch sticks for them to climb on or roost on and bricks to keep the water and food up out of the shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by