1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dinner help--quick! Squash and mozzarella

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ninjapoodles, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    On hand and needing to be used: Fresh mozzarella and yellow squash! Need ideas! I found a Bon Apetit recipe for a yellow squash quiche that looks awesome, but I will still have mozz and squash left over to be used up after that.

Anyone got some ideas that use mozzarella and squash? Squash pizza does not sound very good to me! [​IMG]

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Cut both into cubes, toss them in viniagrette and call it a salad.

3. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Slice, bread, and fry the squash,, layer in a baking dish with the cheese, add some tomato sauce and toss in the oven.

4. MtnAly

MtnAly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    If you have some pasta on hand, like linguine or spaghetti, cook that first. Put cut up squash in a 2 qt. pot and add a couple tablespoons of water along with some seasoning salt, garlic powder and oil/butter. Put lid on and cook over medium until squash softens a bit. Remove lid and let water evaporate and let squash pieces saute a bit more. (They are best when a few pieces get all caramelized and brown.) Shred mozzarella and toss cooked pasta, squash and top with mozzarella. Add more salt/pepper to taste. Works well with Parmesan too. I've been eating this for dinner for a few nights and it's YUMMY!

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    The 'ol pasta toss with veg and cheese is always good and easy, but I have to say that I've had squash pizza and it's goooood!

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks, y'all! I guess I really wasn't thinking about how nicely squash and tomato sauce go together. If you put it on pizza, how do you keep it from being too watery or making your crust soggy?

Mozzarella is "thymed" and resting in ice-water now, and the pie-crust is made and also chilling. I'm getting ready to sautee' the squash in butter and thyme for the filling, so that should be done by the time Alex gets home with the light cream to go in the egg mixture, so all I'll have to do then is bake the crust and whip it all together. Hope it's good!

Have I ever mentioned that I do NOT enjoy cooking? [​IMG] If I ever hit the jackpot, I'm getting a full-time dietician/chef!

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I bet if you make thin slices of squash and salt them, then layer them with paper towels for an hour or two, it will pull the water right out. Thats the trick with eggplant anyway [​IMG] . Hope dinner turned out great!!! Sounds yummy!!

8. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:You do the "draining" before they're cooked at all?

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Yep, just slice and salt the raw squash and let it sit awhile. Then squeeze out any excess water before a quick rinse and pat dry again. Then slap them on top of your pizza, and they shouldnt ooze at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by