Dinner

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cream puff, Nov 27, 2014.

1. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    I had a silkie rooster, I named him Wanker, because he was mean. He bullied the fragile little silkie hen and stole her treats, he barred her the hen scratch and he bit me when I was trying to feed him. He was also unfortunate enough to have a single comb and was therefore not fit for sale as a show bird or breeder. I tried to give him away. No one wanted him. So I looked up some recipes for Silkie, apparently they make a very healthy medicinal soup! Sooooo. Here are some before and afters of Wanker my silkie roo:

[​IMG]

Looking angry, waiting to bite me.
    [​IMG]

yes, he has/had blue skin and was very difficult to gut because the cavity was so narrow. I couldn't actually identify two little blue kidney looking things, I assume they were kidneys.
    [​IMG]
    SOUP! and fried liver!

Awesome.

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Looks good! That blue skin is fascinating looking.

Those unidentified organs aren't kidneys. Chicken kidneys are quite different, and contained in small cavities right agains the base of the spine. They are the right shape and size to be testicles, but they are whitish in my experience, not dark.

3. juanmmg54

juanmmg54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Si parecen los testículos, suelen ser blanquecinos, pero también en algunos casos son de color oscuro generalmente negros

4. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    gracias!

5. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    I think those are the testicles, even the bones were dark blue. The soup was really good. We made Pho out of it and didn't have to add any chicken bouillon for flavour. Don't shy away from eating silkie!

6. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    I can't imagine what else they'd be--but I still don't get why they'd be dark or black like that. Now I'm curious! [​IMG] juanmmg54, save por que son tan negros? Yo no he visto nunca un animal que hay los testiculos como esos... [​IMG] (Perdon, mi espanol no es bueno...) [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  7. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    I could cross post on the silkie thread to try to find out, but they might freak out because people get really attached to their silkies... might be funny though....

8. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
  9. juanmmg54

juanmmg54 Chillin' With My Peeps

No conozco el motivo por el cual algunas veces tienen los testículos negros, pero si los he visto cuando he capado algún pollo. Son raros ciertamente, pero existen.

10. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    bueno, gracias. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by