Dinosaur Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scarletbaby, Jul 22, 2010.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hi Fellow Chicken Lovers!
    I need a little help deciphering my rooster's language. Whenever one of my baby chicks start peeping really loud because they are scared, my only full grown chicken makes the most weirdest sound i've ever heard. It's a cross between a dinosaur and the alien vs predator noises. Almost like a rawr. Hopefully this link will show you what he sounds like on youtube.
    Thanks everyone!

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    the video isnt available, it says.

the growling is a warning sign. my brutus does it.. it cracks me up.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, and??

Was there a question about that sound? It's classic rooster descended from dinosaur vocalization.

4. scarletbaby

May 23, 2010

I fixed it here is the new one. Oh i was just wondering what it meant. It scared the crap out of me the first time i heard it. Thank you TyrannosaurusChix for your reply, i was guessing it was some kind of warning sound but just what and who he was trying to warn.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I wasn't trying to be snarky, sorry. I just thought you "got it" that they are true cousins of velociraptors, from your subject line. I would imagine the warning was for anything that might be causing the distressed peeps. To scare whatever it was, off.

I know the first time I heard my roo make that growling sound, it surprised the heck out of me. I KNEW it wasn't either of my two mini-dachshunds, as mean and nasty as they can sound when they need to protect me. To realize it was the rooster was enlightening, indeed.

6. scarletbaby

May 23, 2010
    haha that's so interesting because i have two mini dachshunds as well. I was kind of upset at first but your apology made it all better, thanks. I guess i should have made a direct question instead of it being so discrete. Oh and i was also wondering, will my rooster hurt my baby chicks when we let them outside at 4 weeks? He is social around people but i'm not sure if roosters are known to kill baby chicks. Just wondering. [​IMG]

7. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    4 weeks is too soon unless they were hatched in the coop.. jmho. i put mine out at8-10 and still lost one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by