Diotomaceous earth

kcbrowneggs

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 12, 2011
Has anyone heard of this for respiratory infections? You put it on the earth and in their water/feed supply. My birds are getting respiratory infections and this was the suggested remedy. Please, any suggestions or knowledge is so appreciated. This is our first bird sickness and I'm going to feel awful if I don't get this right and keep my birds around. Also, garlic was suggested. I know this is a natural antibiotic.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, that doesn't sound like a good idea. DE is a respiratory irritant. Not only is there no reason to think it would work for a respiratory infection, there is a good chance it could make it worse. I'm going to let someone else suggest another remedy, I'm just thinking sulmet or another antibiotic along those lines.

I would get them on an anti-biotic such as Tylan 50, inject it into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. DE is great for prevention of mites, etc. but is not good if breathed in. No way would it be helpful for a resp. infection.

edited to add: you can usually get Tylan from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you think that your bird have a respiratory infection then I would suggest getting the proper medication.
You don't want to play with wives tails and sales pitches when it comes to a respiratory illness in poultry, it can spread like wild fire.

I haven't herd anything about using Diotomaceous earth for respiratory infection and I cant see how or why it would work.
If anything I would think it would make matters worse considering how dusty it is. My guess would be it's another sales pitch like how good it is as a wormer.

If I was you I would look into using either Tylan, Gallimycin, Baytril, LS-50, or Tetroxy HCA.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
If you think that your bird have a respiratory infection then I would suggest getting the proper medication.
You don't want to play with wives tails and sales pitches when it comes to a respiratory illness in poultry, it can spread like wild fire.

I haven't herd anything about using Diotomaceous earth for respiratory infection and I cant see how or why it would work.
If anything I would think it would make matters worse considering how dusty it is. My guess would be it's another sales pitch like how good it is as a wormer.

If I was you I would look into using either Tylan, Gallimycin, Baytril, LS-50, or Tetroxy HCA.

Chris

x2 Diatomecious Earth will NOT prevent, treat, nor cure a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom