Dipping beaks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 6, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi,
    I read that you are supposed to dip each chick's beak in the water when you first get them. But you are supposed to dump them out into the brooder right away to get them warm so if you have a bunch of chicks how do you manage that? You can't leave them all in the box while you take each one out, dip beak then put in the brooder. Thoughts Please!

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Quote:I did exactly that...one at a time. But I only had 27 chicks. It'd be harder with more than 50.

3. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I did exactly that...one at a time. But I only had 27 chicks. It'd be harder with more than 50.

I'm going to have 35, but won't they get chilled if you don't get them into the brooder quicker than that? Especially the last few.

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    If they make it to you still peeping and active the extra few minutes in the box while you dip each chick's beak one by one will not hurt the others. It just takes a second to dip each beak. When you think of it that way that means you can dip about 60 chick beaks in a minute. It also gives you a chance to count the chicks and take stock. Also, as you take them out one by one feel for pasty butts and watch for splay legs. A quick exam will take more than a second but you can catch any that have problems before they get lost back into the crowd of chicks. If you are really worried about the chicks in the box place a desk lamp over the box. It won't give as much heat as the brooder but it will work for the little bit of time it takes to give each chick a quick check and beak dip.

After a few hours check for loud peepers and give them a second dip, it's possible that they didn't get the point the first time around.

5. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thankyou for this vey helpful info, I feel better now! [​IMG]

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Quote:Yeah, what they said.

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    You are very welcome! Welcome to the wonderful world of new chickies!

8. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Oh Yaeh!!!!!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The chicks will keep themselves warm by huddling... just work quickly. [​IMG]
    I did 52 meat birds... took me about 10 minutes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by