Dipsy Doodle Doo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hobbychicker, Aug 14, 2010.

1. hobbychicker

hobbychicker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    Lisa,

Just wanted to give you an update on the eggs. I set them last Saturday night, so I figure that today is day 7. All of the eggs shipped beautifully. Not a crack in sight. I originally had three broody hens, so I thought I'd have plenty of broody to go around. They were all sitting up in my nesting boxes about 3 feet off the floor. I didn't want them to hatch in those boxes because I was afraid that the babies would fall out, so I decided to move them down to the floor in a dog crate I had all fixed up for them. My daughters even decorated nesting boxes for them. The first night, I moved one. The next morning, she was still broody in the crate, but there was only one still in the nesting box. I figure the other broody figured that she would get locked up if she continued to be broody so she decided it wasn't worth it. I moved the other one the next night and she was NOT happy. She walked all around the crate, and bugged the other broody. She even pooped on the eggs I had for her to sit on. I finally let her out the next day. I was worried that she was going to upset the one broody I had left. I haven't had any other hens decide to go broody on me. So, when I got your eggs I only had one broody to put them under. I figured I was safe putting 12 under her (she's a buff orpington). I put all but the oldest three under her and she settled right down on them. She's been fat and sassy ever since.

Tonight I decided to candle them. I've only ever candled one other set of eggs, and they didn't make it to the end. I wasn't sure what I was looking for exactly, but I think that 8 of them are developing. They were pretty dark and seemed a little heavier. Four of them looked clear compared to the others. I wasn't positive, so I put question marks on three of the clear ones and took the last one out to see if I was right. I broke it open and there was no development. I'm thinking in the next few days I'm going to take the others out, too. But I'm thinking in about 2 weeks I'll have 8 little chicks running around. Thanks for the eggs!!!

Kell

2. Hi Kell! That's great to hear!
    I'm glad the buff Orpington is taking it seriously, at least.
    Broody-girls can be such contrary critters!
    I've got some broody-girls I can do anything with (my Frizz girls), and some that have fits if I try to move them at all.
    Good luck with the rest.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. hobbychicker

Apr 2, 2007
    Lisa,

I still have the eight eggs under her. She is sticking like glue. Any time you look at her funny, she's poofs up and starts growling. Tomorrow is day 20. I'll keep you updated on how things look. Thanks again for the eggs.

Kell

4. hobbychicker

Apr 2, 2007
    Dipsy, I had two babies hatch. They are both black and adorable. The mom is being a good mom. There was another one that I think scrambled during shipping and I missed it last time. The other 5 were shrink wrapped and couldn't hatch. I didn't realize that could happen when a hen was sitting. I thought that there was only humidity issues when you were hatching in an incubator. I just wanted to post and say thanks for the eggs. The two that did hatch are strong and lively. I'm not sure whether to hope for two hens or a hen and a rooster, so I can hatch out some more babies later. Thanks again.

Kell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by