1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Direct Buy...Anyone

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HarlansHollowFarms, Jul 1, 2011.

1. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    know anything about it? Is it worth it?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They just cold called me last night.

I've heard it's very expensive to join, like several thousand dollars, but the prices are good if you do.

Imp

3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    We're DB members. I'd recommend it if you're planning on doing any major remodel. It's not really worth the investment if you're just wanting to save a bit of money on electronics etc. Our membership more than paid for itself in the first year. We seriously saved over 20K on the kitchen that we put in. Kitchen, bathrooms and window treatments save you the most. Hope that helps! Oh and if you do sign up feel free to put us down as a reference [​IMG]

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:how much does it cot to join? is it worth joining if you are planning to build a house?

5. AyeUpChuck

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    I would say most definitely if you're building a house from scratch. They also have log cabin house kits funnily enough. It's a little different now than when we signed up. For their "top" membership where you can order from any manufacturer it's like 5K but if you're doing a remodel or a house build you'll more than make that up in savings. We did at least.

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks for the info, we are moving and just need a few things. Sounds like maybe if will not serve our purpose, as we do not need to many things.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Wow, I did not know that - very good to know

Thank you

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Recently there was a class action law suit against Direct Buy. The one reason I remember is that members were unable to acquire products that were supposedly available. The court sided on the side of those that filed the suit. Direct Buy is to compensate the litigants, they're idea of compensation was to give them an additional membership for free. Of course the litigants wondered why they would accept that as settlement since it would not correct the issue of non availability.

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:From what I've heard, I agree. My former brother in law worked for DB, and he said it's really only worth it if you spend A LOT of money each year on furniture, etc., or if you plan to do a major remodel. Last I knew it is about $5,000 a year, so you have to factor that in. You'll need to spend much more than that in order for that 5k to pay off. If you plan to spend less than that, I think it would be useless.

10. AyeUpChuck

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    In defense of DB, manufacturers will only sell from current catalogs. ie if they discontinue something it's not DBs fault. I don't know about the lawsuit but I honestly can't say anything negative about it. We've loved being members. You don't save TONS on everything. And some things are round about the same price in the store because places like Best Buy etc thats ALL they sell. So they can afford to sell it for around or just over manf pricing. You have to keep in mind that DB isn't selling you anything. The manufacturers are. They're just a conduit.

Again if you're going to do something big ESPECIALLY a kitchen I'd do it. Not for just willy nilly purchases. They tell you that though if and when you go for orientation. We paid about 7.5K for our cabinets and had we bought them from HD, who use the same manf, we would have paid 22K. and I'm not exaggerating. So it was definitely worth it for us.

http://albertarental.weebly.com/photo-tour.html

This is the house we now rent out. The kitchen and hardwood flooring came from DB if you're interested in quality. We got semi custom hardwood pecan units in the kitchen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by