Direct or Indirect Sunlight?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by robdog, Jul 2, 2016.

1. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

After doing research I've now bought 6 quail... 1 Male, 5 Females from a breeder in the town over. He promoted them as 6 week coturnix quail and ready to start laying.
    I've had them for about a week and just by looking at them they are definitely passed the age when you can sex them by breast feathers... About 3-5 weeks.
    They get about 2 part 18% Protein Chick starter (For Protein), 1 Part Scratch(For Calories), & 1 Part Layer feed(For Calcium). Every 2 or 3 days They get either a bantam or a regular sized hard boiled chicken egg to supplement their protein. They are all in a cage here in Southern California, where temperatures are reaching 100* or more during the day. I have the cage faced away from the sun so they have shade along with a gallon of water and their feeder.

What else can I do to get them closer to laying?

Do they need indirect or direct sunlight to stimulate laying?

2. robdog

Anyone?

3. robdog

Anyone?

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd get them a higher protein feed - at least 24 %. And just one kind of feed, that makes it easier to make sure they get the right amount of protein. Game bird or turkey starters is usually the only feed with the right amount of protein. The starter feed doesn't have enough calcium for laying birds, but you can supply them with finely grinded oyster shell in a separate bowl so they can eat the amount they need.
    If the feed has vitamin D in it, they don't need sunlight. They do need around 14 hours of light a day to lay though, but it doesn't have to be sunlight.
    Other than getting a feed with more protein, just make sure you don't stress them. Any change in their environment causes stress and stressed birds don't lay. Don't expect them to lay the first ~3 weeks after moving them, even if they are old enough to do so.

5. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Quail in So Cal? Never thought I'd see the day......I grew up down there and from watching my birds up here In The very North of Cali the one thing that comes to mind is that heat is only part of it. Down there you get that intense dryness and the still heat. Mine really love a cool misty morning and they love love love the breeze off the bay. I really recommend a mist bottle, or even a small solar powered fan to keep them cooled off. A Little sun in the morning or evening is fine, but not that scorching mid day sun!

You'll know if your girls are hot and uncomfortable, they really are little drama queens. The few hots day we've had (lol hot here is 70!) I've given mine ice to play with and they love it.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by