1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirt Bath for Winter-In the Coop or Under the Coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by motoclown, Nov 4, 2010.

1. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    We live in Western Pennsylvania and are battening down the hatches for our first winter with our girls.

We have five girls so far, who free range most of the day on 16 acres,
    our run is not finished enough to keep our escape artists in anyways, working on that.[​IMG]

I was wondering if we should put a dust bath in the coop or under the coop?
    *(you can check out my pages to see more pics and our progress)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58800-winterizing-cp

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58800

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58800-pics-chickens-coop-clowns-eggs

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They will probably make there own dust bath underneath the coop!!

3. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    You don't have to put one in, they'll manage to make one themselves.

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

If the area under your coop stays dry they will probably make their own dust bath there.

I think I see your problem with escapees though............They're using that ladder you so thoughtfully provided! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine will wait until I throw new shavings in the coop and then make little dusting holes in it. Also there are places under our deck where, if it isn't frozen, they can take dust baths--assuming there isn't so much snow on the ground that they can't get to them.

6. WendySkill

WendySkill New Egg

Jul 15, 2009
    Monson, MA
    I absolutely love your coop!! It made me smile. Then again clowns always do. This is my first post so I need to find my avatar still....

7. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Thanks, we love our coop too.........

My girls have a favorite spot under the ole pine tree to dirt bath, It gets wet when it rains.
    I have some video of them bathing, I'll have to throw it up later, so funny.

So I think we'll throw some sand and ash under the coop, because the dirt is hard under there.
    And more shavings in the coop.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

i live in pennsylvania too and its my 1st year having chickens and i was wondering too on what to do for a dust bath in the winter i dnt really have a dry spot to make dust for them and i use straw for my coop floor do the really need a dust bath in the winter or can they get by without one ?

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chickens need a dust bath year round. It helps prevent parasites and conditions their skin and feathers. If they don't have a dry spot, you can put a kitty litter pan in their coop with some dirt or potting soil or play sand or wood ashes, and they will love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by