1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dirt Bath or Not ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Maxwell Schmidt, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maxwell Schmidt

Maxwell Schmidt In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2017
    Hi,
    Im fairly new to the backyard quail scene so I've got a couple questions regarding dirt baths for the quails. Ive got a fairly small covey of Coturnix (2 male 9 female) in a home built coop (8'x3'x16"tall) in my back yard. I've got them mostly for hunting dog training and for fun but I like to think I spoil them regardless! I've heard they really enjoy the option of a dirt bath in their coop for a few different reasons. I guess my questions would be:

1) is it worth the time/money/effort to provide them with a dirt bath
    2) what size and "dirt" materials/ratios do I put in it? (Diatomaceous Earth?)

Id really like to get into hatching and brooding soon and Ive heard that happy quail make hatching a lot easier! Thanks in advance for any input!

-Max

sfaith102, YavGuy and venymae like this.
  2. CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Songster

Apr 25, 2016
    North Ms
    Ours love to dust bathe, and we have an old clay pot bottom that we put all purpose sand in with some DE mixed in, they will run and hop in it as soon as it is put inside their pen. I'm not sure about the females hatching eggs tho, ours have never brooded, so it may be wise to have an incubator to hatch them, probably more reliable and dependable. Just be sure to vet one that has the insert tray for those small eggs. We have never hatched them, so I can't be of any help to ya on that....:)

YavGuy and Maxwell Schmidt like this.
  3. TLC Mini Farm

TLC Mini Farm In the Brooder

Nov 15, 2017
    Same here for the "dirt bath". I buy all purpose sand from the hardware store and add DE. I use a kitty litter pan for my 8 quails and they love it. Fill the pan about 1 inch deep with sand plus 1/4 cup DE. I change the sand once a week.

Sorry, I have no advice about hatching eggs. I bought my quails when they were 3 weeks old.

Good luck!!

sfaith102, Maxwell Schmidt and YavGuy like this.
  4. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Peat moss is good too. The females will often lay their eggs in the dust bath. They get a lot of enjoyment out of dust bathing and it keeps external parasites at bay as well.

5. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chirping

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Mine love to dust bathe I use chinchilla dust bathing sand for mine there is always one in there I sprinkle some bird seed and mealworms in it so they have to scratch around to find :)

Maxwell Schmidt likes this.
  6. Drother

Drother Chirping

Jan 14, 2016
    Absolutely! Dirt bath helps them stay healthy and parasite free. Happy too.

Maxwell Schmidt and romea like this.
  7. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Chirping

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    I would put it in.. just an oul basin with sand, or dry dirt.. they love it, keeps their feathers etc clean as well. You will see them stretching out on it etc

Maxwell Schmidt likes this.
  8. YavGuy

YavGuy In the Brooder

Nov 15, 2017
    Chino Valley, Arizona
    Chinchilla Dust ...looks fun, may have to try it myself :th

9. sfaith102

sfaith102 Songster

Nov 30, 2017
    I take some food and mix it in with the straw. They have a blast pecking and trilling! It doesn't last long though.

10. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Better have a huge sand box and a shop vac, if your going to bathe in it.:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: