1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    What kind of dirt should I used for their box for their dirt baths? I have a coop that has access to the regular ground, they ate all the grass under it but theres also poop and hay on the ground outside in the area they walk around. Do i leave it? pick it up and keep just dirt and put a box of sand for them or the ground and no box? they really can't roll around in that cuz its hard. I'm just wanna keep em happy and healthy. Thanks in advance.

2. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    They will dig into the dirt if they want too. Straw and poop doesn't matter to them.
    But if you want to give them a box, sand and wood ash is good for the dust bath.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    oooh i left my reply wrong. ok. what kind of sand? the kind of play sand u can buy at lowes? or like beach sand?

4. Jiffyrocks

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Play sand will be just find.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    thank you VERY much.

6. Jiffyrocks

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    Oh you're welcome :)

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can 'make' them a dust bathing place......but don't be disappointed if they end up making their own.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    oh wow, ok. fun fun haha. I can't wait to watch. my chickens the older ones are 3 months old and its SO fascinating to watch them grow and their behaviors. this is all sooooooo much FUN!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It is indeed fascinatingly fun!

10. Zamanthia

Zamanthia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    NE Georgia
    I got our girls a turtle sandbox off of Craigslist and blended up sand, DE, peat moss, and top soil... they never would get in the turtle, so now they drink out of it and roll in the dirt next to the house. I go out every couple of weeks and dump some fresh DE where they like to wallow. They are fun creatures to watch! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by