dirt bath

dickies chics

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
Baldwinville MA
can anyone help i'd like to make a dirt bath for my chickens, I have both full size laying hens and bantams. How big should I make it? It would be going in a coop that is 11'x7' and I have 14 chickens sharing the coop.

Does this 11X7 space already include some actual ground? What does it consist of? (dirt, gravel, sod, what?) Chickens are often good at finding spots to make their own dust baths, are they already scratching & digging in the ground? Sometimes all that's needed is to take a shovel & clear away a little bit of sod so they can reach the dirt below. Make it the size of one chicken laying on her side, they'll enlarge it soon enough. Or you could make a frame, perhaps 2 or 3' square, and fill it with dry dirt for them.

Your chickens will LOVE you for this!

I use half fine dirt and half sand. Some people put wood ashes in too. You can just use a large rectangular dish tub, but if you want to make it a more solid, long-lasting thing, I've seen folks use large tires, and other low wood boxes.

Home Depot has a black plastic tubs for mixing morter in.
The small one for $3.97 & is about 18" wide and 24"long and 4" deep (approx.).
I started to get one today, now I wish I had done so.

Earlier this Spring I had that idea too...I had this wood box made up about 4x4 easy access in the run with them....NO NO NO, they rather walk about 50 feet out of their way and go to the bonfire ash pile and dust in there....My two cents!

Back
Top Bottom