Dirt baths?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsechick, Apr 21, 2008.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    A question regarding chickens and dirt baths, can you put some kitty litter in their pen and give them something to bathe in?
    Ours don't have any dirts spots yet and I wondered if kitty litter would give them something to dust in.
    Didn't know if they'd use it, like it, or what?
    I know they have kitty litter that is "safe" more natural.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Angela

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    My chickens find dry spots in the yard and take dust baths. You could get some natural sand, I don't know about the cat litter.

3. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Thanks, I was searching some more here too.

Could I buy a bag of sand box sand for them? or potting soil?

I imagine building them a box or putting it in a kittylitter pan would be useless as they will have it everywhere anyway, so maybe I can just put in a pile for them?

Thanks!
    Ang

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Your welcome,

I heard not to use play sand, when they are taking a dust bath dirt goes every where. Will your chickens free range?

5. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Eventually, some of them will.
    as they get older I'll see which ones I will keep and which to get rid of, excess roosters, etc.
    My daughters will also use some to show in 4-h so I'm not sure those will be running loose but we built one coop for a smaller number that we can move around the yard and they will still be able to scratch around etc.

We just put some out in a coop since the weather has been nicer here. They are probably 2 months old. So they haven't had a chance in a week to create many dirt holes. I guess maybe give them time and they will create their own. I just thought they might like one now.

Thanks,
    Ang

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Chickens get rambunctious when they take dirt baths. Mine would build little dirt nests and roll and preen in them. Francois my Silkie rooster would not even come in for the night after he settled in his. I would have to literally pick him up and put him back in the house! [​IMG]

If you have them in a pen, they will scratch up the ground and make their own.

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    dont worry the hens will make their own dust bathing spots/when they want to dustbath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by