Dirt baths

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AKnewbie, Oct 8, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    With winter coming soon, I was wondering how you provide your chickens with dirt baths?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I put some woodstove ashes in a pile under a solid pallet or other rainproof area (cooled ashes). they churn them and eat them, dustbathe in them, and love them!

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    a couple ways u can do this. First, if u have sand at the bottom of coop, like me, they will use that. If u dont, than finda place u know wont get wet from snow or water. fill a low bin with sand or dry, fine dirt so they can use that during the winter. My coop is raised about 2 feet from the ground so i keep a bin of sand under there also so thet can use if its wet out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. manaze88

manaze88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Berryville, Virginia
    Do you suppose a litter box would work with some dirt and DE?

5. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    i would think so

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, and you can mix some sand in also if needed...I have used a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot. Chickens are individuals, however, and there is no guarantee that they will use the box. Some have posted on BYC that their chickens LOVE their dust bathing box and others write in that it was a waste of money since the chickens won't use it at all.

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    When the ground isn't frozen, they of course can dust bathe wherever they wish. Under the porch and the ash pile being their two favorite places. Since they love it so much in summer, I "bottle it" for winter.

I use long shallow bins used for storing things under the bed. I mix the very fine dusty dirt from under the porch with the wood ashes. During wet or snowy weather I put the lid on it and slide it under the coop. I don't use DE because it kills bees and other pollinators.

8. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    our exbat henny has a very big tuppaware box full of dirt in her run,she cant access the dirt below as the entire floor is wired for fox proofing so had nicked the tuppaware box from a cubord one day and used that,no one was none the wiser and henny spends most of her time in it during the day.

9. norwichred

norwichred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi I am new here and if you want to know my chicken set up the details are here

I have noticed they LOVE to dust bath when they are out (they go CRAZY) but I can only let them out infrequently. They never dust bath in their run. They do have a large coop though, which is filled with wood shavings. Is this ok for them? Or do I need to make alternative arrangements?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  10. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    By "out" do you mean out of the coop, or out of the run? Chickens need to dust bathe it's not just that they like it :) Ours are in a portable run which we move every 3 days or so, so they're always on fresh grass. Until we provided a dust bathing box, they started digging holes in the turf! We got a Rubbermaid tote, one of the ones that's about 9 or 10 inches tall, and filled it about a third the way of soil, sand and peat moss. They took to it immediately. When they go to bed at night, we put the lid on so it doesn't become a mud bath in the dew or rain, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by