1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirt Cake...yum! *PICS!*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 77horses, Apr 23, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Yep, we had "Dirt Cake" last night that my mom cleverly made. [​IMG] Well, not really *dirt* cake. [​IMG] It was normal cake batter, chocolate frosting, grounded up Oreo cookies, and, of course, Gummy Worms. [​IMG]

How she made it:
    *baked cake and put frosting on
    *sprinkled a fairly thick layer of grounded Oreo cookies over it, which looked so much like dirt or potting soil! [​IMG]
    *Lastly, placed colorful Gummy Worms on the cake(some were half-buried to make it look realistic).

It was really tasty! [​IMG] [​IMG] My mom made it to celebrate Earth Day. [​IMG]

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

My piece: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Yum!

Looks tasty. [​IMG]

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    mmmmmmmmm! [​IMG]

thanks alot, you've gone and woken up my sweet tooth! i thought i had my fix for the week but i guess not!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Look delicious! What a cute idea for Earth Day too! [​IMG]

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    That's SO neat! I'm going to remember that one for next year's April Fool's joke on my kids. [​IMG] "Whatcha making mom? Dirt cake. What??!! Dirt cake??!! Yep!" He he!

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thats Awesome! I have a recipe for you for April Fools day, my mom works at a k-6 daycare, and she made this cake a couple of years ago for April fools day, it's called a kitty litter cake. She brought it out as a snack for the kids, and she took a big bite in front of them, they were all desgusted! Some of the kids wouldn't even try the cake, they really thought it was poopy litter. I now find someone to trick with this cake every year, one year I left one in my aunts fridge while she was at work, with a note that said "April Fools, Love Chubby and Todd" Those are her cats, SHE LOVED IT!

Oh, and by the way... It's amazingly tasty too!

[​IMG]

Ingredients: 1 spice or German chocolate cake mix
    1 white cake mix
    2 large packages vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared
    1 large package vanilla sandwich cookies
    green food coloring
    12 small Tootsie Roll candies

1 new kitty litter pan
    1 new kitty litter pan liner
    1 new pooper scooper
    Instructions: Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.

Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.

Put 3 unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top. For the coup de gras take one Tootsie Roll and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!

Further notes:
    I had a reader write in saying this recipe only needed half the amount of pudding. I personally liked the cake with the amount given in this recipe. But feel free to use this as a loose guideline, use more or less as you see the need. Also, since the layer of cookies (with the chloropyll green specks, covers the top, you could really use any flavor or flavors or cakes underneath.

Last but not least, you can also opt not to crumble the cakes, but rather layer them in the pan with the layers of pudding in between (much like you would layer a trifle into a trifle dish), sprinkle the top layer of pudding with a heavy layer of crumbled cookies. Same effect, different texture entirely to the dessert.

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Oh my gosh that's awesome too! THANK YOU!

8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    [​IMG] My mom's friend brought something just like that to a Halloween party a few years ago! [​IMG] But instead, she used rice and Vegetarian sausage.(and a few other things...) [​IMG] It looked real and it tasted REALLY good! She put it in a dish like that and also used a pooper-scooper. [​IMG]

Thanks for the recipe!

9. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    AUGH!!! i want cake so bad now! even if it looks like cat poo.

good thing it's my mom's b-day today! too bad we're out of cooking oil. will crisco work??

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i make that for my kids! my middle son wont usually eat it until my oldest does out of fear that it is real dirt.
    we also do the blue jello with swedish fish swimming in it. very cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by