Dirt floor coop question....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UrbanMama, Jan 16, 2009.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Our coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16349 has been finished for a while and has been just waiting for our chicks to grow up [​IMG] Well the wonderful, kind, generous, sweet....Redhen....wants to give me 8 of her pullets! [​IMG] So now I'm trying to finish getting it ready for occupancy.

Here's my question...right now, the floor (ground) looks just like these pictures. There's still grass! I'm wondering if I should hold off putting shavings down for a couple of days to let the chickens scratch in the dirt and munch on the grass. It's been a while since we've had bare ground around here for chickens to scratch and roll in!

My concern is temperature. I'm not taking them until Sunday (after the cold snap is supposed to be over) and honestly, if it gets this cold again...they'll be basement chickens while it lasts.) But do shavings help with insulation and keeping them warm? Should I just go ahead and add the shavings now?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I would let them have the grass first. It will be good for them and it wont take long for them to clean it out, then you can put in the shavings. Nice coop BTW.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I share your concern about temperature. Bare ground is COLD on feeties. (In a regular coop it would also make the whole coop colder but obviously in the 'pen' part of a tractor this is not an issue)

I think if it were me I'd be inclined to try it without shavings at first -- assuming these are well grown pullets accustomed to cold outdoor temperatures -- and see if they WANT to spend much time outside poking around. If they don't, just put down shavings or any other organic dry-compost-pile type material and be done with it.

Good luck, congrats on prospective chicken ownership [​IMG],

Pat

4. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks guys!

I'm going to try it with the grass...see how they do and then add the shavings in a couple of days. I figured it might make their first week here a little nicer...since they'll have to stay in the coop to learn where "home' is [​IMG]

I believe she said these are all May '08 babies?? So they're fully feathered and should be okay.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    goodness, if they're from a May hatch they're adults now. They will be fine, just keep an eye to see if they seem to find the ground cold.

Have fun! [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by