Dirt floor of run questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tamma, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    I have 3 RSL chickens almost a year old. My coop is 6x8 and my run is 6x8. The coop inside is wonderful (thanks to all the help here).

My run has a dirt floor and I am concerned about the dirt.
    The same dirt has been in there since the end of May. I almost never see poop in the run. I think they just walk it into the dirt. And then they bathe in the dirt holes that they dig. I don't like to put scraps in
    the run. I always have to put it on a paper plate so they don't eat the poop dirt with it.
    Am I being too obsessive here? Should I switch to sand or what?

Also, how many chicken will COMFORTABLY fit.in my setup? I have 3 and am getting 3 more.

Thanks for all you sage advice everyone!

2. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    About the space you could have around 5-6 birds in your run. I started out with dirt and didn't like it so I went to leaves and I hated that so then I went to straw and I loved it so for the past couple weeks I've had straw and the chickens seem to like it a lot.

3. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    So you can remove the poop from the straw much better?
    Do they dig up all the straw to make dust baths. My
    chickens forage for only about 4 hours a day.
    Thanks!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I like to keep straw or hay down - keep down the dust. I change it out every few weeks.

5. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Answering your question about the dust baths, since I just put the straw down and it's the winter the ground rock solid. They probably will and it won't be bad at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by