1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirt Floor or raised wood floor in chicken coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sommerbys, Feb 6, 2009.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG]

I pm'd the mods to move this to the correct forum-you should get more answers there [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. Dirts floors are easier for predators to dig in, than wood floors. But My coops have dirt floors, and Ive had no problem. I dont think either way is best, it just depends on your situation. [​IMG]

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    We have a dirt floor. It is usually pretty dry here, so we don't have to worry about things getting too damp or mold ar anything like that. So far this year we haven't even had a decent rain storm. For bedding we use dried leaves, weeds pulled from the garden and sometimes wood shavings or hay. When this gets too nasty for our liking we just rake it out, once a month or so. Our big problem is rats and we are considering putting in a concrete floor since wood is useless against rats.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If you can put in a wood floor I think you should. Place linoleum over the wood and it's a breeze to clean it out. There are very few predators that can get into an enclosed wood coop.

If you can't do the wood then make sure you bury hardware cloth at least 18" down into the ground and attach it to the sides of the building. Having predators dig under and into a dirt floor is the biggest problem with dirt floors. I have friends who lost several of their chicks because they didn't believe anything would get into their barn and then dig through the dirt floor into their coop.

Keeping the floor dry is another potential issue with dirt. Make sure water doesn't pool or run into the coop from rain or snow.

5. themoorethemerrier

themoorethemerrier Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    WNY
    Where we live, right at the bottom of a hill with exceptional gravel veins (agh!) except for one month out of the year, we have pretty wet or flooded ground, so we have a raised wood floor. The water runs right under the house during our heavy rains. We've had flooding for a few days in a row a couple times last summer, so it's nice to have a wooden floor, because I can toss down some grains to keep the chickens busy turning their own bedding! But, even here, we could probably do a dirt floor if we could move our coop to a drier area.

Like a few already said, it depends on your situation. Just consider how much precipitation you get every season.

Have fun! [​IMG]

6. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG] to BYC I like wood.. I also live in massachusetts .

7. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Having gone through that area a lot to the beach I would say build it off the ground with wood because the land in that area is completely flat and some areas even looks swampy. It doesn't matter here because the ground is hilly and drains off quickly usually.

[​IMG] Welcome

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wood floor w/ linoleum.

Using DE and pine shavings makes weekly clean up a breeze!

9. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I prefer dirt floors with bedding. The birds can dig in the dirt and keep their nails short.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by