Dirt floor woods style coop construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Eterna-z, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Eterna-z

Eterna-z New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    Hello all!

After reading all the good info here for a long time, I finally became a member. I am in the process of building my very first chicken coop, and pretty much first time constructing anything of this complexity. I promised my daughters they would have chickens come spring and I intend to follow through. With my slim knowledge of construction, I have made it to the point that I think I have a good foundation on which to start, but could really use some advice on moving forward. I want to build a woods style coop similar to JackE's :https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter . The big difference is I want it to be a dirt floor coop. Right now I have a base of cement blocks 6' x 10', and was considering using pressure treated 6x6's as the next level. Reason being I have them handy (but only 8' lengths) and I want to use the deep litter method, so I figured between the blocks and the PT 6x6's that should give me plenty of depth for litter. Anyway, Other than knowing the style I want the final product to be, I need some good nut's and bolts advice on how to move forward. Are the 6x6's a good idea, or not. I want to use as many "found" materials as possible, but not at the expense of later issues. I have available here tons of old solid 8x2 PT lumber from decking and quite a few 4x4 posts up to 10'. If you are still reading, sorry about my rambling! Will attach some pics shortly.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The Treated lumber will prevent rotting at the contact point to ground or blocks. The woods coop is a very practical design and can be made in different sizes as well as easily added on to. I suggest you make coop from whatever materials you can get free, cheap, or re purposed. It will give you self satisfaction and achievement. After you finish, then give everything a good coat of paint for lasting beauty and durability. Deep litter is good if you intend to keep a lot of chickens. For just a few, I think it is an overkill. IMO.... Don't forget to provide a secure run next to it. Free ranging is great, but has its own set of dangers associated with. PREDATORS........ Of course, not all areas are susceptible to the same degree of dangers from predators. Only you would know how your area is BEST>
    WISHING YOU BEST AND [​IMG]

Ask all the questions you have. There is always someone with a possible answer or advice. Sometimes you may have to wait a short while to get a response. Most of the peeps here read when they do get time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by