Dirt in above ground coop...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hauntedyards, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Hauntedyards

Hauntedyards Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I shower lined the floor in my above ground coop so it is essentially a 6" deep pool now. Any thoughts good or bad on putting down 1 - 2 inches of triple mix or soil and then starting deep litter method in an above ground? Will it compost if there is soil at the bottom?

Any input would be great.

[​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Will it compost if there is soil at the bottom?

Only if it stays wet enough, which you don't want in a coop​

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Wow, Nice job on that finish. What is the material u used? Sooo, by your post ...really not sure what you are trying to do. I really don't understand the whole soil thing! Why not just use shavings? Dry, absorbant, cheap, easy to clean out, etc....I'm alittle confused. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
    Erik

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Yeah, I would use either shavings, pelletted pine bedding (preferably "exploded" in a wheelbarrow first w/ water added, as it's much easier to pick out poop!) or sand. Dirt is going to be hard to clean and kind of icky IMO.

5. Hauntedyards

Hauntedyards Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I went with the pine shavings. I was thinking about the composting qualities of the DLM and whether that could be applied to an above ground.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What is the material u used?

It's in the OP

I shower lined the floor​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by