dirt in brood

djswett

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Bend, OR.
Hello fellow chickeneers

Oh, many questions...

My chicks are hanging happily in their net floor brood. I read about it somewhere and really liked the idea: newspaper covered with a cutout of a screen door, which prevents slipping, and is easy to hose off and clean.
BUT...
Looking at many of the pics here posted, I see that most people have a pretty thick carpet of woodchips and other stuff on the floor of their broods. Am I depriving my chicks from some special joys by not doing that?

Another question:
Some lady told me to sprinkle on thier brood a bit of the dirt they will be hanging out in when they finally make it outside, and this prevents illnesses. (maybe it strengthens their immune systems?). Should I? Is it ok if it contains some compost manure?

And third:
They are a week old. When are they ready for a little outdoor play time?

Cool, thanks...

I use pine shavings to control odor!!! They are too young for grit, but around 4 weeks I give mine a bowl full of dirt to dust bath in and play in and they love it!!! You can take them outside now if it is warm enough, but I warn you ahead of time - THEY ARE FAST LITTLE BUGGERS. I would do 2 at a time or make a small pen on the grass. You certainly don;t want to try to catch 20 lil chicks all running in different directions!

I think chicks need something to scratch in so they don't get bored and pick on each other.

For my big chicks, I started them in peat moss which is like dirt. It was great for the first week until they started to scratch, then it got really dusty in the house. Switched to shavings but they were dusty as well and stinky when the chicks got around 3 wks old.

For my little banties, I'm starting them on the wood pellets and LOVE them. The chicks can still scratch (that's what chickens do). The pellets smell good still at being in the brooder over 3 wks. They dry out the poo within a couple minutes and don't get kicked up in the food or water as easily.

Any particular type of wood pellets? We used pine shavings because there happened to be a full bag in the coop when we bought the place. It's gone now, so we need to get something else and I like the sound of these pellets. Do you know if they would compost well? I'd hate to miss out on all the great compost.

When they get wet, they break down much quicker than the shavings.

I get my pine pellets meant for horse stalls at the feed store. Some say you can use the pellet stove pellets but they are hardwood and can have additives.

Chickens LOVE to scratch and the babies love it too. I think it's better to have them on something they can scratch in whether it's pellets or shavings. I start givign mine bowls of sand to dust in and pick through at 10 days. I start giving clumps of grass and clover about then to.

Ooooo! So I can give them a little clump of sod to play with as early as 10 days??? I wasn't sure when it would be okay for them. Thanks!

D.gif
ARe wood pellets kind of what they put on kids playgrounds?

And how do you clean those off poop; or do you need to throw them away every time the brooder gets cleaned (every day)?

Back
Top Bottom