Dirt question for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newtothis, Feb 26, 2013.

1. newtothis

newtothis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    I have read and searched about dirt and chicks and have a question. We aren't doing medicated and I read to help with them build up cocci immunity let them have some dirt from your yard in the brooder. My question is we have 2 chickens right now that cruise around the yard...can I still toss in dirt even if the big girls have been around? We are using ACV and have been since we got them and they are now about 2 weeks old. I just want to do it correctly to help them grow happy, healthy and strong:)

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The ability to build immunity means there must be exposure, so there's nothing wrong with soil your girls have "cruised" through. ;)

3. newtothis

newtothis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Great! I let them play with more dirt today and they love it. Anything else I need to keep an eye on for introduction?

4. tajuano

tajuano Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Whatcom County, WA
    I would introduce them to greenery, also my chicks love seed mixture for parakeet, kale, grass, soil, cooked eggs, dry bread. We use medicated feed for them, but I noticed that they don't really care for it, they are peeping when hungry and there is full plate full of feed. So, I just give them stuff mentioned above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by