1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirt run cleaning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BarredCometLaced, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    How do you clean a run with a dirt floor? Ours is 10*10 and we have 3 chickens that will be there throughout the day. I am unsure of how to clean it! A rake?

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ya I just spray mine with water to keep the dust down and kake it up and haul it to the compost pile same as inside coop.......

3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Add 4" of clean sand. Way EZ to clean. spr4ead Oyster shell flour over the top along with a good layer of DE and you'll be good to go.

4. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    i would like to know that too! i never really knew you had to clean a run before seeing as mine is compacted dirt, i did hear someone say that you should spray it with vinegar to help with the smell. i would like to hear what everyone else says though.

5. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    I like to dump the grass clippings from mowing into their run. They have loads of fun and do a great job of breaking it down and mixing their poo into it. I clean it out in the fall and rake what ever is left moving it to the compost pile. BTW we do not use any chemicals on our lawn to keep our grass safe for the ladies. If/when we do use some (got to get rid of the moss that is taking over the lawn) we will dump that in our ditch that the chickies do not have access to and also away from our compost pile.
    If your run is nice and compacted and it's a nice dry day it should be very easy to rake the poo and compost it.

6. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Ohhhh okay, thanks for the answers! [​IMG]

7. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

I like to dump the grass clippings from mowing into their run.

+1​

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    A generous sprinkling of DE helps a lot.

9. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:+1

I also rototill it everyso often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by