Dirt subfloor with deep litter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by darkmatter, May 31, 2010.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Success! For over 15 years now, I have been using a Coop built on a brick foundation with the dirt floor below the outside ground level by 12 to 18 inches. I clean it out in the spring for the garden and spend all summer adding lawnmower clippings, wood chips, pine needles/cones, etc. basically anything organic I can rake up or mow up. Over the winter the chickens constantly turn it over and it composts down making heat and fertilizer for my garden. I planned and started my Coop in B.C. (before computers) and read everything I could, I didn't like the Agriculture Extensions recommendations of concrete floors and dropping boards----sounded like too much of a stinky mess and work. I was inspired by the writings of Rodale which based his conclusions on old-timer methods that were tried and true. Seems the old-timers knew what they were doing, they also planted mulberry trees for the chickens---I thought this was a great idea and one-upped them by planting the Illinois everbearing mulberry which drops mulberries for 10 to 12 weeks versus just the 2 weeks of the "wild" mulberries. I also planted apples and persimmons in the run (it's large) to extend the free food season. I also fenced off my garden which shares a fence with the run and in the fall when I'm done with the garden, I open the chicken access door to the garden and they clean, till, and fertilize it for me.
    I hope my experiences will help the newcomers in their planning-----I see a lot of advise given in these forums that are based on what someone thinks should work rather then what is and has worked.

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Darkmatter, thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. You can't argue with success.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by