dirtless floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jk47, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I was wondering if you can use a concrete floor and just put a thin layer of shavings on top of it to protect the hens feet
    because most egg producers don't use dirt,shavings or bedding so do any of you know what kinds of floor and how they clean them
    I mean the cage less ones

2. brokenhobble

brokenhobble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    you could use rubber floor mats, soft to the feet and clean easy with pressure washer or if you had a broom and shovel clean regularly and it would be fast and easy...

3. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Thanks that's a good idea using rubber mats
    Is there a thickness of the mats I should be striving for or would any kind work

4. brokenhobble

brokenhobble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Any kind would work.. The thinner the cheaper, 1/4 - 3/8 would b plenty, would prolly never wear out in ur lifetime... They can be kinda heavy and awkward to handle so be cautious of that especially thee ol back.. U can cut them to any desired shape to fit anywhere. They cut with a heavy duty razor knife or box cutter, get a 2x4 or some sort of straight edge and use that as a guide n run ur knife over it a few times in the same spot, it might take a bit of cutting, u won't b cutting it like a steak or something u will be doin long slicing motions pulling the blade..then when u get thru it so far ur can fold it and expose that cut n then it's real simple to finish ur cut to get clear they the mat. Hope this helps n good luck! If u go this route I'd love to see pics of how it turns out...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    An advantage to a dirt floor is that you don't need to clean any spills. They simply soak into the ground. Adding a layer of sand enhances the ability of the floor to recycle wastes and litter. The chickens naturally turn all the soil over mixing it with anything on top of it and allowing decomposition to occur.

Less work overall.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by