1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have eggs hatching at different times in my styrofoam bator . i know that is a bad idea but hen left nest early due to illness. needless to say, i have clean eggs in a dirty bator. i wondered if i could take the eggs out and lay the top over them long enough to rinse out the debrie in the bottom. they are on day 15 and all the others are gone. any ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A hen will get off the eggs for up to an hour or so every day so I think you can do the cleaning without any concerns.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm in the same boat and am going to wrap them in a towel while I clean it... Not sure if that's the best way or not, but it's better than all of that air with bacteria and possibly mold! FWIW, mine are peafowl eggs which are very sensitive to this sort of thing.

-Kathy

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank u, chicken canoe. cathy, i just did it my bator is in 2 parts so i laid a towel down and put them on then sat the top part over the eggs and just did a quick rinse w water hose. everything was ok but i didnt add water back because its pretty wet and it droped temp down to 80 but its climbing right back up.. i will put the water back tonite

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well i just went to add water and the temp had climbed to 101. i dont know how long it was like this and i didnt candle them yet. musta bumped the dial when i moved it. there was water on the window too. but its clean! haha oh well, guess i will see tomorow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by