dirty birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ali, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    my gorgeous white banties are dirty. can i bathe them? if so, what do i use? also what is conditioner and how is it used?[​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You can use baby shampoo. I toss mine in the tub, turn on the shower and lather em up. Rinse well, blow dry. give treats.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, can be washed. I use regular shampoo lathered up in one bucket, put the chicken in, lather them up, and then put into a clean bucket and rinse. Then I blow dry.

Make sure you don't burn the bird or feather while blow drying. I use medium heat and keep my hand in front of the blow dryer over the bird to make sure it doesnt get too hot, make sure the bird is dry too before letting it go out. I only wash on days where it is hot and sunny, else they can get sick.

4. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    My white silkie gets terrible dirty, her top-knot and her butt! She doesn't have great leg or foot feathering, so that isn't a prob. I put a towel down in the bottom of the sink to stop her from slipping, add warm water, and fill the other sink with warm water as well, for rinsing. I leave out the plug in the sink she is in. I use puppy and kitty shampoo, and am careful around her head, cuz I think she would drown, poor thing. Then it's towelling, and patting dry, plus blowdry on a low setting, and have my hand in front of the dryer, making sure the temp is not too hot. She absolutely loves the blow dry! Contented cluck, eye closing, head bobbling kind of content! Have fun with it! And ya, lot's of treats! I'm not sure whether she has more fun, or me with laughing! Gotta love them pets!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    [​IMG] THANKS EVERYBODY, THIS IS GREAT NOW IF I COULD JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO CETCH'UM I'M IN BUISNESS I'M SO AFFRAID OF HURTING THEM, THEY'RE SO FRAGILE. BUT IT'LL GIVE ME A MUCH NEEDED WORKOUT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by