1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!
  1. lilyaqha

lilyaqha Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    IL
    We're trying to keep the coop clean..EASILY cleaned! We had a pull out bottom at first, then my DH put a regular floor in so now the poop piles up. The run is sand, it was easier to clean by using a collander. Any advice on how to make this easier?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    "Easily cleaned" is going to depend on the size of the coop, and how many birds are in there. I consider my coop to be an easily cleaned one. With 19 (Going to get more), chickens in a 8X16' coop. I only have to do a complete cleaning, where everything is shoveled out, twice a year. In between those cleanings, I just dump more shavings in every month or so, and either rake, (Rarely), or have the chickens themselves mix and stir the bedding.
    Jack

3. Wyandotte103

Wyandotte103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    If the chickens do get dirty, dip in dish soap, then water, then apple cider vinegar. Hope I helped!

4. lilyaqha

Jul 5, 2012
    IL
    2 birds in a 4 x 6 coop, then there's the run that spans the bottom and goes out another 5 feet. They don't poop in the run area. It's all in the coop itself.

5. lilyaqha

Jul 5, 2012
    IL
    Thanks! I"ll try it when the weather gets a bit warmer!

6. Wyandotte103

Wyandotte103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    Just don't submerge them in water. Neck and down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by