Dirty bottom?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie-chan, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Chickie-chan

Chickie-chan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    So, it looks like something runny got stuck, then dried, so the fluff is in stringgy clumps. I think it is her waste and I noticed one time that it looks runny but brown. Could she be sick? I haven't seen anything unusual of her other than this. Also it is not really huge chunks getting stuck. Does anyone know anything?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Trim the fluff/feathers back with scissors so she'll have a clear 'shot' to the ground.

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens should naturally have 1 cecal poo for every 8-10 regular poos. Cecal poop is the stuff with the horrendous stench to it, and it's brown and runny. Then you have what I call "normal" poops and our chicks are usually solid, brown and white.

If the stuff dried on her bum feathers is brown it's probably cecal poo getting stuck to her feathers, much like dogs will get poo stuck to their fur if their bum fur is not kept at a decent trim.

Dawg53's advice is what I would do as well, especially if it's brown - sounds okay to me as long as she's not displaying any other symptoms (but I would wash it off and blow dry and then trim so you don't have to mess with the poopy while trimming her).[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. Chickie-chan

Chickie-chan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Thanks guys! I'll try these!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by