Dirty Bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McGoo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

My Gertie seems to get a dirty bum frequently. Feathers in her rump seem to clump together and collect dirt. I've cleaned it with warm water on occassion and found no signs of any other problems. She is a RIR, 8 mos old, lays very frequently, and has a rosy, though not red red comb, and I use DE in the nesting boxes and dust her as well. She is a real little workhorse who loves to scratch and dig all day long and doesn't seem to be lethargic in anyway.

Any ideas what causes this? ...or what I should be looking for?

Thanks all!

2. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    No answers, McGoo, but I"m interested in the answer. I've got four hens, two Buffs and two Plymouth Rocks. The Rocks get dirty bottoms, the Buffs are fluffly and clean. One Rock is worse than the other, and all are healthy otherwise. This has been going on for a couple of months here. [​IMG]

Astrid

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    my silkies when broody will sometimes get this problem...give them live culture yogurt may help any intestinal upset that might be causing this...

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My BR and BO get this. Occasionally the EE. The Australorp, sex link, and SLW are always clean and fluffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by