Dirty bums

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by powai, Oct 5, 2012.

1. powai

powai New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Kaipara
    Morning
    I just doned rubber gloves and washed three dirty bottoms.

Never thought I would be washing chicken bottoms!

My husband, John, and I had worked out a routine, we had a wheell barrel full of warm soapy water and a small work bench ready just inside the garage. John caught the chooks and I did the yellow rubber glove bit. Then used a towel and onto the work bench for the blow dryer!

One golden laced Wyandotte and two Barred Plymouth Rocks.

One of the PJ's (plymouth rocks - stripes look like Pajamas) isn't altogether friendly but John goes off to get the last chicken for washing and I am drying PJ, she is loving it! I am stroking her and drying her feathers and she isn't worried one little bit, it was a great and unexpected moment!

How do you tame chickens? My son wants us to have tame chickens that want cuddles! Could this be a bonus from dirty bottoms?

Powai Hens, Kaipara, NZ

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a way to start your day, eh?

Some chickens are more tame than others. There are individuals within the breed, but Silkies are usually the tamest. You have to handle them gently, and remember chickens are not cuddling critters. They like to sit in laps or on shoulders and observe the the world. Simply sit quietly and allow the chickens to come to you. Offer special treats from your hands, but be aware chickens are greedy and can peck the hand that feeds it. Chickens are chickens.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How cute! Handling them, will tame them down. I've found that my Barred Rocks are very tame. Actually, they are my favorite breed! Enjoy!

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

With a post title called "Dirty bums" and the most recent post showing in the forum list as "How cute!" I was almost afraid to open the thread.[​IMG]

Good for you for cleaning their pasty bums! I agree that handling them will help tame them. Our four are only 4 days old but they're much better now when I reach in their brooder than they were on day 1 (they don't scatter everywhere like I'm the plague anymore). Keep at it. =D

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Anytime I handle a chicken in a way they don't like, I hand feed them meal worms when we're done. Now they know, lay still and let her trim your toe nails, wash your butt, or what ever procedure we're doing that day, and after, they get a palm full of meal worms all to themselves.

That has definitely tamed my more reluctant hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by