Dirty Butt Dorrie Died . . .

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Most of you have read about my 20# CX hens and my adventures with them.
Well, as I said earlier, they have stopped laying (I got 15 chicks!) and have been slowing down considerably. I knew it was coming to and end this week as she has been "napping" most of the days and her comb was going purple. She died peacefully in her sleep. She weighd 16# and was apx 15 months old. Just thought some of you might be interested in the final chapter.

Last summer:

19992_cornish_cross004.jpg

Last week:

19992_bootsie_053.jpg

Sorry you lost her , but glad she was able to give you some offspring . I'm sure being allowed to grow at her full potential by her previous owner contributed to her shortened lifespan ; you did a great job managing her and her flock mate to allow them the added time . Hopefully the chicks off these two girls will have enough of the " rapid growth genes " bred out of them to live more normal lives , yet still retain enough of that plus the great CX carcass type to be superior to most dual purpose .

really I'm not sad she died, her body was done and it was her time.
I appreciate the sympathy, honestly, but mostly I was posting this to share info and my experience with others who are attempting to raise CX for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom